Friday, August 10, 2012

Film 18: Painters Painting


Q1.  What were the one thing the painter’s paintings did well? They created a national art; American painters took hold of abstract and made high art out of it.


Q2.  What was Jackson Pollock’s point of view on paintings?
He felt that it was time to leave the era of the small paintings on an easel, to painting large paintings on a wall size picture.

Q3.  What was the purpose of the painter’s paintings?Not only did they create a national art, but they took America’s art and turned them into paintings. They made painters see that abstract painting is all around them.  It was done because they wanted us to see the art around us. The simplest things in life can be art, from a simple butterfly floating around flowers, to a tall skyscraper building with different colors on it. The city of Chicago itself is like art, all the different styles and heights of the building and how they light up at night is what gives Chicago its uniqueness.

Question for open discussion: What are your thoughts and views on today’s art? Do you feel people are more open to contemporary art or abstract paintings?

3 comments:

  1. Personally I like contemporary art more. I can appreciate abstract art; however I do not like trying to fgure out what I'm looking at or make the artwork into what I want it to be. I want to appreciate the art for what the artit intended it to be. Contemporary art is colorful and bright. Contemporary art has evolved so much over the years. It has become grafitti, tattoos, and posters. Contemporary art can be new and fresh.

    I like todays artwork. I think the artists are very creative. They can use computers or cameras. There are so many avenues to express yourself in todays society. I think our culture has gotten away from the traditional paintings but use so many other forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to agree with Ms. Turner. Contemporary art attracts me moreso than the abstract art. When I am walking around a museum or gallery, I do not want to spend my whole day staring at an abstract piece of art trying to figure out what the artist meant and wanted us to see. Abstract art is not necessarily beautiful or ugly, but it always makes you step back and go, "Hmmmm?"

    For these reasons, I prefer contemporary art with the evolution into grafitti, which I find fascinating. It is bright and "in your face" art that always catches the eye. There is a certain art form to this type of art that from what I have learned is incredibly difficult to learn. There will be no end to the different genres of art and the new, interesting ways in which artists will find to create it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do feel that people are more open to contemporary art and abstract paintings. Today there is such a wide variety of audiences, its hard to find one that doesn't relate to the artwork somehow.
    I'm not familiar enough with todays contemporary artwork to say whether I like it or not. Though I will be interested to see how today's artwork will impact future generations.

    ReplyDelete